According to research by the National Center for Biotechnology Information of the National Library of Medicine, the average attention span in the year 2000 was 12 seconds. By 2015, it had shrunk to 8.25. It’s probably even less today.
Are you still with me? Please, take your nose out of your smartphone for just a moment more…
We often joke about how electronic devices and instant internet gratification have shortened our attention spans to that of small furry mammals, but what the above statistic shows is that this is no joke at all. We are increasingly logging in to our social media accounts and then forgetting what it was we were going to do there and instead of watching a video of a teenager in Wisconsin’s dramatic backyard do a face-plant or a kitten in Australia do a yoga routine.
It’s not your fault that you can no longer listen to more than ten seconds of a YouTube video before checking out the suggested videos on the sidebar. The reason behind the Incredibly Shrinking Attention Span is that we’re simply bombarded with distractions. We used to turn things off, but now we live in a world of 24-hour mindless entertainment and breaking news.
Whether you’re drowning in a sea of distractions or you’re learning to turn distractions into opportunities for getting things done, the important thing is to identify and control your distractors. That’s what you’ll learn to do in this course.
In this course, you’ll:
- Identify common distractors and what specific ones put drains on your attention span
- Learn which distractors are particularly damaging to your focus at work
- Learn a wealth of tips, techniques, and habits that can help you improve your focus and control your distractions
- Gain time management skills to help you take control of your time and keep distractions at bay
- Be exposed to a list of exercises you can perform immediately to help you regain, maintain and optimize your focus and concentration
- Create an action plan that you can use right away to improve focus and concentration
You can use the techniques you learn in this course to boost your productivity in your professional life, or simply get more enjoyment out of your personal life. By the end, you’ll have a whole arsenal at your command for dispelling distractions and fine-tuning your focus.